Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A frozen scale of values

I was grown up under the spell of constructing a scale of values. The opposite, utterly evil, is moral relativism. We had by then a weird case in the family, with somebody preferring to spend his money in a nice van, instead of fixing his teeth. I am afraid it is more common now. A few examples came from conversations this last weekend. You have the case of students in Beligum drinking glasses of hot water to get themselves warm without switching on the heater. Or the case of the High School of Bishops Stortford, dressed in fashion to the last wave in technology -computer, methods, etc.- but having the kids getting cold in a classroom with a broken window for days. I remember, yeeh, my friend M., years ago in Huntsville, AL, sitting in the toilet, next to an electrical resistance to warm him up and stating, menacingly: I don't like having the house heated up!

(LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment