Sunday, July 1, 2012

Martin Amis PM

I appreciate Jack's comment. The world is a much unknown for me; to the list of issues to uncover I added Bellow and Michel Houllebecq; wanted to explore Ian McEwan's Atonement. Unfortunately, the sun of Amis set down quite soon. Too dark for me, bad timing. I tend to mimic for a little bit after I read something the style of the author and I certainly do not want to write like Amis. Probably I already do, although worse.

During that Monday's interview, Amis pointed out that it took him 1 year to correct Lionel Asbo -a novel he wrote before he left England. "The action was carrying me on and I was saying 'something is wrong, but I will  fix it later'. I thought I could review the whole thing in a couple of months, but when I finished, it took me a year: everything was wrong". I can somehow feel what Amis wants to say with this statement, but it come to me quite contradictory that the teacher of Creative Writing can speak of right or wrong in writing, without any shade at all

I am leaving Amis for later. I am sure I'll come back to him. Too obscure, too difficult perhaps. Miriam Margolyes would not approve: she praise the challenging and the difficult. I saw her last Sunday in North Finchley with her Dickens' Women -two or three men at the entrance of the Art Depo, as old as Matusalem, were giving away pamphlets against her utterances against Israel. She is a great comic, a very gestural actress, by the way. Despite her small stature, she is a giant on the stage. Margolyes is 71, a spout of energy.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment