Thursday, September 6, 2012

Garbage 98 %

Precisely on  the eve of the 60th anniversary of the characterization of the double-helix DNA molecule, the destiny written on the stars has brought to the spot light a major realization, in my opinion, regarding that molecule. I must say, however, that I know nothing about. Sometime in the late 90s, when the genetic maps were for the first time -I guess- drawn and reproduced, when Dolly killed God to become the new, ruthless Frankenstein, I looked a little into the matter. But that was all. I have forgotten almost everything.

Nevertheless, I heard these days that the 98 % of the DNA molecule, the one not made of genes (the sugar-phosphates rigs), might play a major and unique role and explain why the same genetic information can lead to different outputs in two different individuals. Until now, that massive part of the molecule was considered as "garbage" by the plenary scientific community. Two main, general thoughts come to my mind: 1) how stupid and vane is to believe that 98% of something can be useless in Nature, as it were a public company or institution, with free licence to squander; and 2) how tyrannical the dictatorship of Science can be to those who dare to swarm in no-man-land waters, away from the warm streams of the accepted and networked shit.

For sure: garbage 98 %.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment