Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Honesty

It sounds kind of boring and dull to talk about honesty, but I will. Billy Joel got it straight: honesty is such a lonely word. Although I don't think the statement adds anything new, the obscene lack of it keeps on slapping me in the face. Tough day, today. Tough. The kind of day you are about to send everything to hell. I feel stupid and alone, empty as the drunkard. Nothing makes any sense to me. I am the hero without cause. Always getting the worst deal for myself without any good reason for that. Honesty pays off stupidity. Wrong, wrong day.

My friend M. pushed me to read a few weeks ago the manual Adapt: why success always starts with failure by Tim Harford. Well, I dropped the book from my hands after a short little while in the tube for being crap and against the minimum rules of the hygiene. Crap, pure crap. I have read about 25 pages only, but I could find a few pieces of food for thought, though. For example, the story of Peter Palchinsky in the pre-revolutionary Russia, that Harford recalls. Peter was a young engineer when sent to the coal basin in the North of the Black Sea. He had orders of the Tsar's goverment to gather data on the coal's area, report it and build a dossier on the working conditions. He then discovered that everything was crap: "the miners were housed forty or even sixty to a room, stacked in shared wooden bunks like cheap goods in a warehouse. In order to sleep, they had to crawl into position from the foot of the bed because there was no headroom to clamber over their fellows. Toilets and other facilities were rudimentary". Palchinsky's superiors did not stand by the bare truth of the facts reported and sent Peter to Siberia. Tim Harford points here that, a few years before, Palchinksy won  himself a place at the Russia's top engineering school and that he had taken pride in the fact that he had gotten the position because of his exam results, instead of relying in having the right connections. Harford completes Palchinsky's portrait: "In short, (he) was bright, energetic, confident -and almost absurdly honest".

Alas! Absurdly honest! Honesty: a mistake, Mr Harford? Where is the limit to absurd honesty? Another fashionable stuff in the world of fashion?

My mother has just sent me a text: "how are u? All well around here"... . It is fucking amazing and mysterious... A very wrong day and she felt something... I am sure. Can anybody doubt that God exist? And that He is a gift?

(PLEASE, LEAVE A COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment