Thursday, November 15, 2012

Britain, my Britain

Like the damped sounds of the rocky sea against the menacing cliffs far in the distance, I am following the echos of the so-called BBC crisis. It all started with Jimmy Savile, a man buried and honored like a king only one year ago. The man is Sir, knighted for charity services in 1990. He held a list of honorific titles, including one bestowed by the former Pope, Jean Paul II. In all the tempest, I have not heard any attempt to revoke his titles, to separate his name, at least provisionally, from the "Sir". When the sexual allegations against Michael Jackson came to light sometime in 2004, if I remember right, an American acquaintance told me: "He is a freak". Why! What does it make of Jimmy Savile? The list of adjectives in the dictionary is not enough for him.

The nastier corner of this case is that BBC knew. The sacrilege did even happen too many times in its own premises! Also the police. The question is why? Why did BBC kept silent? Why did it become an accomplice?... I guess that when the BBC and other networks kept saying in the past for decades that ETA was a separatist group (not a terrorist group), as they say now and will say in the future, some room might be allowed to distrust, dishonor and prosecute them because, in my view, political reasons or interests or shear complicity were possible or likely to lay underneath.

**

A couple of days ago, I was coming back after grocery shopping from Muswell Hill. I was in the bus, absorbed in the discussion of the BBC crisis in one radio station (through my phone) when, suddenly, the bus stopped short. The handle of the shopping trolley slipped itself free from my grip and the bag tipped and fell over the ground. A few items scattered on the floor of the bus and spred a good 6-ft distance forward. (No, goodness, no: no eggs involved). Apart from the lady next to me, who held the trolley while I was collecting the food from the floor, no one did help me. No one... Go, Britain! What a glorious spirit!

Is this all what your brave soldiers fought for? Is this what your poppies honor?

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment