Friday, January 4, 2013

When you really love

Who can still believe in love between a man and a woman? I mean, who still believes in marital love? Like a revelation it has come to me the disturbing fact that such an entity does not exist. Emily Bronte in Wuthering Heights -a master piece of literature- presents Mr. Heathcliff and Mrs. Heathcliff before unveiling to the reader that they are not husband and wife as "one was about forty; a period of mental vigour at which men seldom cherish the delusion of being married for love to girls: that dream, is reserved for the solace of our declining years. The other did not look seventeen". This paragraph is quite impressive, foremost for being the climax of anti-romanticism in  a peak of the so-called romantic literature. It leads us to a bold and even more disturbing set of questions: if marital love cannot be, why is it so? Is it because of man? Is it because of woman? Any? All together?

I am a man, I have loved and I know that I could marry for nothing. I did sacrifice a whole lot for nothing, I did make my sacrifice for a woman out of nothing. My personal experience pushes me to a horrifying conclusion: woman look in a man for something that we, men, do not call love. For a man, as my friend A. quoted from somebody else yesterday -I keep forgetting facts easily, even in the beginning of the new year-, woman is the un-romantic being par excellence.

This realization pictures a glooming scenario for the lonely man. It faces the risk of loving blindly without being love. And it brings along all the evils.

**

Marisa Tomei looks wonderful in The Wrestler. Drunk men mocked her in the strip-club because of her age, but she looks fresh and young, also when wearing the unappealing hat in the vintage shop. Any man could fell in love with Marisa Tomei. The hilarious punch in Jason Alexander's nose in Central Park in the Seinfeld series, and the chewing gum plus the accent in My Cosin Vinny, does the whole thing. She is a lonely soul in the movie and her stripped life makes sense in providing care for her son -a picture quite so in the real America. But the final move at the end of the movie does not buy or, at least, came to early. The sordid atmosphere of strip-clubs and the harshness of such a life will take much more that a hot argument to get it on the groove. Only money I expect to make it easier, much easier. The fairy tale of man rescuing a prostituted woman is rare: Pretty Woman, perhaps, but still, could we imagine that fairy tale without money?

Nevertheless, The Westler is a good story and -if you like epic tales of individuals fighting for his life alone- a great time in the couch. If I had to say, of all the wounds of Mickey Rourke, which one hurt the most, I would not have any doubt in my mind: his failure with Stephanie. The figure of Ram's daughter is important: most significant, Pam Cassidy pointed at her immediately as the man's salvation. When everything was getting better, Ram woke up past the time she was supposed to meet his daughter for dinner on Saturday night, after the boozy and drugged-up previous night. The feeling might not be entirely unfamiliar to any of us: you wake up in the dark at an unusual hour, past the time... Wake up in the dark... All you feel is remorse and the ice-cold, sharp pain of hurting someone you really love.

And you know that everything is lost.

(LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment