Friday, August 5, 2011

Bad manners

Once again -sometimes the impression come and go randomly-, my daily life is surrounded by sprouts of bad education, namely by access of rude and unpolite people. I could say that the British is a form of human living rude and unpolite, pretty much against the established predicament, but I am positive I would not be fair nor right. In fact, it is just that some people is not polite anymore, anywhere.

The examples I collected during the last days are many and, today, after going through the very unpleasant experience of catching a plain, the feeling is ten-times fold bigger.

Buying groceries in Sainsbury is a nightmare, nothing comparable to -what´s its name?- in the States, where you get a nice welcome and your food stuffed in bags. Of course, some people will attack such iniciative with invectives like "I don´t want no one touch my food" (sic). Or you update your Oyster card and the lady behind the window get upset because you insert your card in the payment device before time; or you go to the movies and, after waiting for a long line to expire, a lady tells you dryly: "the popcorn is downstairs"; or you let someone pass in a crowdy street, a muslim marriage plus a young child, and you don´t even get a timid thank you -or, if you get it, the children would never be asked to say thank you.

The London tube is a desolated landscape _at nights, mostly on weekends, it looks like the Land of the Dark from the Lord of the Rings. Here, you have this young man rushing to get a seat when someone else, already in the train before the stop, has been biding time to get it first. The counter-balance for it is, of course, sens of humour. The metro stories are numberless.

Or I am in the line waiting to get my bording pass -I like the old-fashion style- and there is this long group of teenagers, careless, unfocused, noisy. The guy before me gets an exception to cut the line with his wife and kid. I ask, half-agresively "can I go as well?". The guy replies, half-agresively, as well, "do you have children?". The fact is that behind me there were people with children and they did not get the exception; and the fact is that, despite my being slightly rude, I was treated like a child by a utterly unprofessional employee.

Good manners are becoming more and more a matter of money and, even in this situation, manners come with the price. It is a game to be played. I might be getting to the extreme, but this is what I get in my daily life. I walk out the public library in Hornsey, in the Crouch End, and I say to me: "people is unfriendly to me, why?". Of course, unknown people... .

I can´t see any good prospects following this path. This civilization is called to an end.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment