Monday, May 2, 2011

Of course, the Wedding

In many occasions I found myself living somewhere else and upon my return to Spain for a few days discovered that everyone knew more about the news from the place I was than myself. The British Royal Wedding has not being an exception. My sister, my mum, people and people, they all know the names and miracles of the characters attending William and Katherine´s Royal betrothal and I did not. Let´say they got 9 out of 10 in the test; my mark was only 2.

I don´t know how popular Monarchy is, don´t have any idea. Of course, you see different manifestations of all kinds, but it is not feasible to do a fair account of what´s going on. At least, I can´t. I don´t see any problem with having a handful of people enjoying certaing priviledges as long as theyt fulfill their obligations. In fact, will most of the people find priviledges in being a king or a princess if they assume their duties fully?

I don´t mind either paying the salary to these people. Why should I? It does not sound right, it is true, but if you make comparisons with other social parasites (I am thinking of large beehives of politicians, mainly), the amount taking by kings and queens is meagre.

Monarchs and Royal Houses are not equal to us! And it is good to keep it this way. There should be only one point of equanimy between them and us, a symbol of modern times: we are all equal before the law. And law shall be enforce upon the kings too! So if any prince, X, possesses and consumes illegal drugs, for instance, just apply the law. I guess, it seems to be some problem here, so: where is it?

Here at home, someone said that being William a little far from the succesory chain, the wedding was not entirely "of State" and thus the contracting bride and groom and the Royal house could invite friends and acquaintances from different circles. Is it like this? If so, you see? I disagree. Monarchs and Princes do not have friends! Shoud not! They only should have obligations. That´s why we keep Monarchy. If they are entitled as different, apart from equals before the law, they must be super-humans, they shall render their lifes and sacrifices themselves in the name of the nation they represent and they command.

If these premises are fulfilled, Monarchy is preferable to any Republic, in my opinion, at least here in Spain, where the historical balance does not give out many arguments for Republican optimism. A healthy, examplary Monarchy can be a great asset for any country.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment