Thursday, June 2, 2011

Anno 70 after Dylan: illiteracy

My dear cousin I. reminded me today of the 70th birthday of Bob Dylan (born Robert Zimmerman, on the 24th of May). I wondered whether the world is better or not after him? Blowin' in the Wind was released when he was only 21, and that corroborates to me one of Leonard Bernstein's sentences on pop music: done by and for kids. Dylan influence in such universe is undeniable, but what about everything else?

I wanted to comment as well on the unfolding piece of news about the notorious cases of illiteracy among children in London. Actually, I did comment on it, and wrote a somehow long column. Unfortunately, the whole thing failed and now I would have to write it again. Sometimes, it happened and I re-did everything up, but today I am tired and I don't feel like doing it, with links and such.

To put things in a nutshell, I did bet you a pint that behind the vast majority of failures you can find parents who actually don't read. Everybody is pointing malignantly to teachers and to allegedly defects of teaching, but it is kind of hard to believe that the reason is so complex, isn't it?

I did talk to you about a couple of modern, well-known poets in England, Jehane Markham -whom I listened to her London Series poems today in the Keats House- and Benjamin Zephanaiah. The latter I have just discovered twice within the very same day.

I will tell you more about it some other time... Or not. Ok?

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment