Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Rebellion without music

I've been trying to comment on the events in Spain for the last days. Honestly, I cannot give a general opinion because I don't see a general picture and I don't know what will happen in the end or what will become of all this. Indeed, I am very skeptical and dubious about the backstage of the so-called 15M movement, even a little scared_ the most hideous and anti-democratic extremism are always in control, one way or another, and that's the real danger. Of course, all kinds of peoples, with a variety of interests are, drawn to the whirlpool. Many, I am sure, are of a great heart. And some of their actions are moving interesting resorts among the politicians, somehow. However, it is not a matter of consigns -the old consigns and myths, same old, same old-, but of the war on ideas. I have read the proposals approved in Puerta del Sol -by an illegal settlement, by the way- and I think most are wrong. I mean, such proposals are not the solution, but part of the problem. I will comment them in a different post.

In fact, some other political movements -curiously enough, the right-wing politicians seizing power after the regional elections- seem to be more solid, and really promising.

**

Dylan turned 70 a few weeks back. He was an icon of revolution and still he is, as many others. Vietnam, May 68, Germany after the Wall, had their music for times of change and even the battle against HIV and natural disaster have their music. Now, where is the music of the change today? Where is the music of Egypt? Libya? Greece? Spain? Look what I found: too much emotional, a true tear-jerker, but it is all wizened, all gone, all too much into the past.

I really don't know where the music of the future is. Really. Show me if you know it.

**

In Spain, you have Russian Red declaring herself to be on the right-wing and leftists turning against her like wild animals? Oh, my! Why?

And this is very good. It is the answer to a powerful PSOE politician (he will run for President next year) who used the name of the band and one of his songs in Parliament to reply to another politician. I subscribe 100 % the insights about power. It is beautiful to hear it from someone like him; it sounds from experience. Like Cosmo Kramer says in one of Seinfeld's episodes: "Oh, Jerry, you are not gonna come baaack, it is a hole, it is a whore, it is L.A....". Power is exactly this.

Several times I have watched interviews of Amaral on TV and always noticed that the boy who speaks on the video -Juan Aguirre- remained aside. Very quiet, very shy, perhaps, obviously he does not like to talk to much in public. I got surprised he spoke up now. I like what he says: "don't fuck with me... I don't have a faithful (sic?) way to say it". I think he means "a better way". I like that.

It takes a good deal of character to speak up like him, I think. It might look like he is using the moment to go against all politicians, but I don't think so: he does not say the typical, easy, kind of crap, bullshit... . His speech sounds very personal.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT). 

No comments:

Post a Comment