Saturday, October 15, 2011

Don't go bike, London!

Precisely, yesterday evening I had the chance to tell an acquaintance that I cannot think of any advantage of riding a bike in Central London. The guy, naturally, rides his bike customarily.

A week and a half ago, I walked from Euston Station to the St. James park where I attend a Seminar at the Institute of Mechanical Engineers on Birdcage. I was horrified by the tremendous amount of bikes swarming in a bath of furious traffic. A simple thought came to my mind: why bikes do not have a rear mirror? This morning, while waiting for the bus, a cyclist (riding easily above 15 miles an hour) deviated significantly his way to avoid a car parked next to the curb without minding looking backwards. A taxi cab was moving as fast behind, he had to be aware of it, but he did not mind to look backwards.

The riding stuff is a foolish story to my view. I cannot think of any objective advantage, nor even for the riders, and the whole thing is becoming a battle of wills. Untactful behaviours, bad-mood demonstrations and a sense of unlawful behaviour is sprawling from this initiative. If the riders were to comply with any single traffic regulation (i.e. stoplights, zedas for pedestrians, stick to lanes and signpost any change accordingly, etc.) what advantage would remain? If they don't... Oh, boy! What a foolish story.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment