Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The London zoo

Now that I have TV and let it on at nights while I cook dinner or do laundry or write this, I feel that I should start paying some attention at some of the local comedy and night-shows gurus. A few weeks ago, I was unable to recognize Jeremy Paxman, as M. brought it to my attention. It’s being a long while since the last time I went back home at 5 pm and read the Evening Standard in the tube, but every now and then I come across with news about any popular and currently in the hot-spot character. So, I think I can at least jot their names down.
Today, we have Sophie McShera, the mannered scullery maid Daisy in Downtown Abbey. Now she is back to the West End with Jerusalem to play the malicious, perverse and wayward teenager Pea. During the coming fortnight she will be filming Downtown in Berkshire for a Christmas special by day and showing Pea in London at nights. That is interesting to me; see what it comes out of this!: a sort of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde dissonance running behind. My guess is that Sophie, 26, can be happy as likely as feel terribly alone… .
We also have today Liam Fox and Craig Dubow, two big mother-fuckers who, according to Ian Birrel in his column in the Evening Standard, “make difficult to defend capitalism”. Actually, his opinion about the anti-capitalist protesters who are camping in St. Paul’s Square since the weekend made me realize how much detached I am, how much I do not care about. I miss my Beatrice, and if I could live in a desert island, like the South of Flannery O’Connor, I would not give a shit about anything or anybody else. Just I and my Beatrice… Wherever she is… .
Across the Engineering building, at UCL, there is a Sacred café kiosk. The coffee is good; and the people serving it are cut to the same profile. The girl there today, with hands as black and brown as muddy coal, was reading a biography of Russell Brad. I saw him several times on TV. It seems that comedians on TV must have the ability of quick and ingenious reply. I guess one of the first was Julius Marx (Groucho); a nice skill to practice.
(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment