Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Third War

I heard that the former spiritual advisor of Bill Clinton came once to London to deliver a conference. The venue was kind of posh and so was the audience. The topic: "the Third War". He walked to the stage, perhaps, he opened his folder, adjusted the microphone, glanced at the crowd and started: "You don't give a shit about the Third War". The people were astonished and could hardly believe what they have heard. "If fact", the speaker continued, "you cared more about me saying "shit" than about the Third War".

I belong to a generation which grew believing wars were curses of the past and that armies are no longer needed. Now I know such belief is a great mistake. Unfortunately. However, even now I find the possibility of a new war within Europe very remote. Just merely to fancy about it makes me feel like I am playing an impossible game: the game of imaging impossible things.

But, is it really impossible? I mean, the origins of many wars are grotesque. How many ridiculous wars!

Is it really impossible? To begin with, European countries are holding opposed positions in economic terms, and more or less hostile in social and cultural matters. Underneath the rusty endurance of conventions, nationalism is starting to shine at the core. Parcel bombs are far from being unusual lately: from Joseph Akermann to the Greek embassy in Paris, and Italian anarchists in the middle.

Something like that?

Still, I cannot imagine it. It is impossible!

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment