Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Trains and polar bears

I think I said some time that years ago I use to write down in a notebook what I called -by then- "serendipities", although they were not exactly that. I felt curious about the fact that on the same day and different circumstances I learned of something entirely new for me until then. I don't quite know why I stopped writing down those singular "serendipities": today, I could count up to several hundreds of them.

As a chain of coincidences, I learn of the work by David Attenborough few weeks ago while attending a tutorial on Public Speaking (sometime, when injuries are cured, I will comment on this). "Mr. Attenborough is fascinating", we were told. I am sure he is. Last Sunday, I dozed after lunch in the couch, feet up on the coffee table, while Frozen Planet run on the TV. I heard Attenborough's voice in the distance, reciting the lyrics of What a Wonderful World and I said to myself: he is good.

Frozen Planet. Ok, it is good to know. Today, I read that some people have complaint because last November part of the scenery was shot in a zoo in Holland. Whether that is admissible or not, I leave it to you. I guess it is, but why not to say it on the very same documentary? Mr. Attenborough's voice could make heaven of a hellish grinding of teeth and motivate motion at absolute zero; so, why not?... Anyhow, Frozen Planet, a personal serendipity.

I liked better the African Railway, the last adventure of Sean Langan in BBC4. He travels in the train across the Freedom Railway from Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) to Kapiri Mposhi (Zambia) built by the Chinese in the 70s to be able to bring the copper from Zambia to the port in Tanzania. I think it was very good as a cultural documentary, eloquent and touchy; even though he did not find answers for the financial bankruptcy in 2008, I got attracted to the task of reading in each of the looks, smiles, gestures and words of the people in the crazy building of offices.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment