Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Camillagate or the Tampax Scandal

Well, as my friend Esra Bulbul would say, I just learned about it.

Lady Di died in car accident in the end of August 1997, and most of what I can remember is that everybody loved her, everybody hated him. I finished in the bus the book of London by Paul Tournier -finally, a deception, shallow and superficial- and liked the epilogue, where he tells the story of Milady, Charles and Diana, and that's how I learned about.

Learned about the story of the Tampax, when everything went public. So, so, so funny!!! I could not repress a burst of laugh, a very spontaneous, enjoyable laugh. I have searched for the audio, but could not find it either. Part of the dialogue, though, I got from a published paper in Sex Roles (2006, 54, pp. 347–351) by David Linton. After a quick look, seems surprising to me that someone can seriously spend time in studying the following conversation with scientific pretensions (?!!!):


Charles: Oh God. I’ll just live inside your trousers or something.
It would be much easier!
Camilla: (Laughing) What are you going to turn into, a
pair of knickers? (both laugh) Oh, you’re going to come
back as a pair of knickers.
Charles: Or God forbid a Tampax. Just my luck! (Laughs)
Camilla: You are a complete idiot! (Laughs) Oh, what a
wonderful idea.
Charles: My luck to be chucked down the lavatory and go
on and on forever swirling round on the top, never going
down!
Camilla: (Laughing) Oh, Darling!
Charles: Until the next one comes through.
Camilla: Or perhaps you could come back as a box.
Charles: What sort of box?
Camilla: A box of Tampax, so you could just keep going.
Charles: That’s true.
Camilla: Repeating yourself . . . (Laughing) Oh, darling I
just want you now. (Graham, 2001, p. 241)


I have looked for the 1993 interview to Charles, when he confess publicly his long, long relation  with Camilla, but have not founded. Instead, of course, it is readily available in You Tube that of Diana, which I post here, for you to watch it completely.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR00zvbz9hU&playnext=1&list=PLE64AF76A8E0AF9DC&index=9

I have not done it.

Again, after a quick listening, do not like the sad countenance of Diana, do not like her way of looking, do not like her speech, but I guess it is a matter of time to start loving her, as you love a sit-com after some time, though you found it annoying when watched it for the first time.

The name itself given to the affair, Camillagate, clearly referring to the Watergate, I would say, sounds unbearable ridiculous... Seems like every affected and mousy journalist or journalist corporation needs his "****gate". Well, here it is mine-

myyyyasssssssssssgate.

No comments:

Post a Comment