Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fukushima

I was in the movies tonight, the huge screen 1. Ten or twelve people in a room for five hundred or a thousand. Premier area, something like business-class in a plain. I sat in the couch, took off my shoes, laid on it and enjoyed a minor, trivial, action movie while eating popcorn. I sometimes love doing that.

**

Back home, I came across this interview on a Spanish, small, independent TV to Maria Teresa Bolea, former President of the Nuclear Security Bureau in Spain. As a good, ignorant Spaniard, "well-educated in the National glories" -as some, quite stupidly, wants the rest of the world to believe-, I never heard of her. I am such an ignorant.

Listening to the interview (which I strongly recommend you to watch it here), I draw my own, following conclusions:

1. Shame upon us!The general media has completely forgotten the humanitarian tragedy, the refugees, the evacuations, the human and tremendous material losses, the episodes of sorrow, stoicism and heroism; and about the better means and instruments of control to help. Apparently, there is something more important to do in Japan and Sendai now: smearing the nuclear power. Shame upon us!

2. Maria Teresa Bolea. What a woman! A Spaniard... World, look at her! Learn!... And she is not the only one, not at all.

3. For the serious mind, everyday should be a battle fought against mediocrity. Sometimes, manipulation is just that, gross manipulation; but in many other occasions, manipulation comes naturally: it is careless, effortless, brilliantless, dull, cloudy and grey. It is mediocrity... .

If we could only do one thing tomorrow: take a sample of 25 or 30 journalists writing these days on the fire in the nuclear reactor number 4 in Fukushima; journalists from the main written media and TV networks and ask them: the fire is because of the combustion of hydrogen but, can you tell me how exactly the hydrogen is formed? If you find a couple who know it, apart from vague and more or less approximate answers, I would be surprised... That's mediocrity: "Pssss. I mean... Is that so, so important?".

Information is overrated. Bad information is a bad cancer. Power belong to those who can think, freely, on good, complete data. Mediocrity makes our judgements partial and deficient, unremarkable, perishable.

Mediocrity makes us less human.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment