Friday, March 4, 2011

Your hands in the dough

Am tired today, completely worn-out. I had to attend some business, I do not want to discuss it here. I can't say it is good, but it is not bad necessarily. Sounds stupid, I now, but the taste is bitter-sweet, and I don't want to talk about.

The problem of our time is that people prefer being important rather than useful, Winston Churchill said; I want to believe that if you tend to be useful, you will get in trouble. Well, indeed, trouble will come to you. At least, this is what always happened to me.

Years ago, while working as a monitor with teens in spare-time activities, I used to organize meetings, happenings, evenings-together for all monitors (all in the early or mid twenties). I don't know very well why I stopped doing this kind of things, because I really liked it and I felt satisfied doing it. I had good creativity and could make up dynamics and activities for groups relatively easy. And for this type of business I happened always to be more than a likable person. One night, I remember, the meeting was formative and focused around the concept of "implication" of the volunteers, different levels, different degrees, very personal matters. At the beginning I had circulating among all a flat bucket full of flavor, white flavor for bakery and, I asked everyone to get their hands into the bucket, into the flavor and pass it around as long as some music was being played. I read it somewhere.

Some smashed their hands in the flavor and did not care to get dirty; some did it very shyly; some were quick; some were slow. The different behaviors served as a warming-up point to talk about implication... Well, it was just a game.

The lesson is, however, that to be helpful, you have to put your hands in the dough, and that's trouble. It is the only way, though. Despite my mistakes and naivete, I like thinking that at least the intention was good. Made me feel a little better.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment