Sunday, November 20, 2011

Brit rap

I am not at all interested in technology, i-pads, i-pods, i-phones or kindles, play or wii. I really don't give a shit. Nor about facebook or twiter and have not got seriously into linkedn. I have a prehistoric phone which is mute and silenced and sometimes made me wonder if it really works. I don't follow fashion, I don't know how. I don't know a place suitable for myself, really. I have not found myself... Really... Still... Yet. I sometimes fell the awful feeling of getting old before blossom; it is the dusk before the dawn.

My daily days do not help, as I am in touch with boys and girls 5, 7, 10 years my junior. The technical files of singers, city workers, business men, even divorce young ladies are full of people younger than me. You have the feeling of growing up when TV hosts and footballers are generally younger than you, but those times are long ago gone. Time is a bitch.

The feeling does not improve when I open a window in my time wall and look outside into subcultures, into other stuff. It is like being even older and pretending to be otherwise without a spirit.... Agg! Let me drop this baloney for another time.

My lurking into modernity this weekend dragged me to this. It is not like I am scandalized or something; it just makes me so depressed. On a different frame, I listened to different young artists, mainly from the hip-hop culture here in the UK, or in London: Giggs, Dizzee Rascal, Professor Green or Ed Sheeran. It is a very-easy-to-listen-to music. I say to myself: this is not rap! I look at the clothes, the style, the culture and it is so hot, but so traditional, so predictable. So depressing.

In 2004 I spent my first long weekend in Atlanta. I think it was after a walk along the Peabody boulevard that we found ourselves in a negro disco with gogos fully naked on swings, semi-naked people dancing on stage like they were having sex and music like this. I think I thought: "how the hell can you explain Western philosophy to this people". It was the real underground.

The new Brit hip-hop music (I like very much this, this, this and this) might be rude and unwelcome sometimes, (talented too), with excessive fucking words and a certain proclivity to the gang culture and the outlaw behaviour, but it has nothing real. It is an artificially-created culture (and not quite promising, let say). It is a gentle and sweet music, too much in hands of fashion and conservatism. It is on X-factor! With Tulisa Contostavlos as Ambassador.

Last Thursday, on a pub in Great Portland Street, on the contrary, the Sex Pistols performed. I read in the tube what one of them said: "do you know what the problem is? Simon f***ing Cowell".

There are people who never change. And I am glad it is so.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment