Sunday, November 20, 2011

Weekend soccer

I've just read that Maradona's mother has passed away. Her name was Dalma Salvadora Franco, 81, known as Donia Tota. It is never too late to meet people. RIP.

Donia Tota, kissing her son.

**

In Germany, I am glad to hear that Raul Gonzalez keeps rolling on as the team captain of Shalke 04. He has scored 1 this weekend in a 4-0 victory against Nuremberg. Against the tantrum of Yannick Noah this Saturday in Le Monde against all Spanish sport, I would oppose the stamina and resilience of Raul: pura casta, something the French knows nothing about. (Besides, dear fellow, la potion magique is a French invention, so keep it for yourself. We will prefer el balsamo de Fierabras, better and older).

In Germany, as well, the match Colonia - Mayence has been cancelled following the suicide attempt of the referee.

**

I read an article on the truncated emergence of soccer as a mass-sport in the United States during the 20s, with the American Soccer League. The report is truffled with names of work and professional reference, that reflect clearly the power and paramountcy of the American industries: New Cork Fields, Boston Wonder Workers, Bridgeport Bears, Betlehem Steel; and witth the names of players, time-ago disappeared, many of them emigrants: Archie Stark and Bill Harper (Scotland), Billy Gosalves (Portugal), Micky Hammill (Ireland) and Bert Patenaude (France-Canada).

It is always good to meet new people on weekends... Dead or alive.

**

I have not commented yet on the 1-0 result out the England-Spain last weekend. I remember vaguely a game Belgium - Spain in the previous heats for the Euro Cup 2008. Spain needed a victory to be in and by the minute 75 the score was 1-0 against. Under heavy rain and in a hostile environment, the team managed to score twice in ten minutes by playing soccer like angels. It was the beginning of a winner team and a fresh, new style.

I just hope the team has not lost themselves yet. After the first half of the game against England, 0-0, if I were the couch (no difficult to imagine: like Del Bosque, I was born in Salamanca!), I would have said to them: "Look, you have been playing for 45 minutes alone, but you won't win if you don't score. Go ahead, keep trying, go on, it is a matter of time, score! The sooner you do it, the better for me, because I want to try different alternatives. I won't do it before you score, so go ahead and give me as much time as you can. But this game must be won by you and it is your battle. You started it, you finish it... We want a victory. Now, any problems? Any comments? Any suggestions?... ". And after, I will give them my tips.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment