Monday, January 17, 2011

Like summer tempests came his tears

I came to finish The Wind in the Willows today _Started early in the morning, in my way to work in the bus, continue during supper at Toff's Fish up in Muswell Hill, and rounded and terminated upon 2 pints of London Pride at the fox hunter's pub next door to my dwellings.

It is a marvellous book, full of poetry, a tender and thoughtful story.

My querie is: why is this considered to be a book for children?
Do you know why?

I ignore the intentions of Graham by writing the book. I read that the book is actually the output that came from the inspiration of the letters Graham wrote to his son. Is that so?... The book is so rich that I doubt an infant of any age will be capable of appreciating the vast amount of adult experience inscribed in the pages of the book.



On the other hand, the story is plentiful of imagination and originality. It is a well-written couple of hundred pages. If you go to Oxford and have a chance to take a look into the Bodleian Library you may see the original hand-writing pages of The Wind of The Willows, I don't know, I wish, really, perhaps I am talking too much, as Toad (for sure, you will find some samples in the Internet). It is a story to enjoy, to read over and over_it is probably the book the Angle Clarence should have been carrying about when came to Earth to save George Bailey.

Powerful and rich language. Great prose, truly poetry. A shiny portrait of friendship, a survey of human most inner psychologies and weaknesses. Would you share with me this appreciation?

What did I like the most?... Difficult to say. I certainly enjoy the last two chapters today, "Like Summer Tempests Came his Tears" and "The Return of Ulysses". It is such a full-of-sense development of the story to have the great Toad's mansion taken and ruled by weasels, stoats and ferrets after his gone-away and imprisonment... However, I foremost was delighted with "Wayfarers All"... Maybe it is a sensible matter for me to be on the road... It might be as well the senses and smells and sounds that Grahame is able to convey and all the familiar feelings _or, at least, understandable feelings_... Perhaps, it is just that I read that chapter on Sunday morning, after a good sleep.

If you have not done it yet, please, read it _it is full of poetry!
(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment