Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Vatican City of the middle-class liberalism

The afternoon suddenly got sunny and I finished my late lunch and rushed to take a few strolls out in Alexandra Park. The sky is clean and cold, the views and landscape from the Court building, delightful. Muswell Hill is such a lively community, a lovely bunch of cross-roads crowded with people during daytime as they do errands or shopping or walk out their dogs or children. Bookshops and supermarkets, restaurants and coffee shops, barbers and iron mongers, parks and kiosks and the movie theatre, pubs and travel agencies, all only comes too handy.

As I walked back through the park I passed by a kiosk. Two couples are sitting outside, drinking a cup of something and smoking cigarettes; there is a baritone voice singing an opera aria out of a player. The scene is so inviting that I came in and ordered a cafe latte, middle size. The place is rather small and cozy. An Italian man and woman are attending the place. While I waited for the coffee I took a look around and had time to read a favorable critic in a piece of newspaper, pinned on the wall: "On a Sunday on my bike, I ended up in a kiosk in Alexandra Park, Muswell Hill, the Vatican City of the middle-class liberalism...".

Out with my coffee I stopped for a minute and looked in front of me.There is a green parcel of a meadow, all green, and down beyond the naked trees and much further down, behind detached and semi-detached houses, the high buildings of The City in London. Out in the meadow, about 300 yards there is a girl playing with a dog, wearing a light dress, bared arms, while a couple of adults are next to her watching, the woman wrapped in fur.

Muswell Hill and surroundings... The place where lived Peter Sellers and Ray Davies of The Kinks (who said that wouldn't go further south of Archway). Next to my door I learned that Steve Norman's family still lives (of Spandau Ballet, once separated or divorced, he moved away). In Muswell Hill lives also, when at home, Clive Owen, and J. told me that he once saw him at WHSmith.

Muswell Hill, the home place of Michael Mcintyre as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment