Monday, January 17, 2011

Unlike love, friendship does not require presence

As I walked today towards Kilburn, passed by a couple of attractive young women, in absorbed conversation in the outside of a building, while smoking (it is a sexy thing, isn't it, two hot women talking womanly and smoking). It caught my attention the fact that I have noticed in too many other occasions: the high level of focus and pondering two persons smoking outside can put in to a conversation. Again, when I was drinking a beer inside a pub, looked at a couple of man and woman in the terrace outside through the window, absorbed, like spellbound, speaking the language of complicity. A new social circumstance might come into action: the terms of the smoking friends.

Is friendship an indicator of social success, I wonder? Remember Capra's It's a Wonderful Life, and its final message for George Bailey: "No one is a failure if he has friends". And thus, who are you if you are not good at brewing friendship? Facebook is the artificial expression of the formula: friendship = social network = success. And more, what are the elements of a friendship?

I know that learning to harvest good friends is a social skill, much needed... . I am just looking at that other side of people.

I see C.'s profile in facebook _170 contacts. Remember when I met her, about 10 years ago, she was the type of out-casted girl, emotional and socially thin. Or at least, that tender shape is what beguiled me. If friendship (and change) is a clear case for success, ok, I give in: she is successful. My case is quiet the contrary, unfortunately.

My friend A. sent me a mail today: he implies that I did not have time to meet him in Christmas, and brings out what Bioy Casares said about his relation with Borges: "Unlike love, friendship does not require presence". Moreover, my friend A. completes it with something else, out of the Esthetica Originaria's philosophical principles: "Like love, friendship is presence in the absence".

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment