Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yes, why not?

Got internet back finally. Am tired today. I was in the movies up here in Muswell Hill with J. and his girlfriend. The King's Speech. I don't know what to say... . Geoffrey Rush is a leading and versatile actor, excellent. Colin Firth is quite likable and actually he is liked. And then you have as the mighty Derek Jacobi, in an ugly and caricatured role as Archbishop of Canterbury, I guess, but his character does not offer much in the film. I found the movie slow, with nice moments of comedy (excellent is Lionel Logue playing with the kids in the old house with no heater, reciting), and nice parts with dramatic intensity (remarkable is the scene when Lionel and Bernie are about to rehearse the ceremony in which Bernie will be enthroned as George VI).

But that's all I can think of. Perhaps, I will change my mind some time afterwards... Well, one detail: don't understand the music along the final speech... Beethoven! A speech against the German nationalism (yes, Nazism is deeply a form of nationalism with pretensions to expanding) by the king of England and you used Beethoven?  (Anyhow, silence would be much more dramatic, along with the sweat of the king). I find the story, no doubt, a much better match for acting shows and theatrical adaptation than for cinema. You have to create a magnificent movie to make the story an unforgettable classic.

What do you think?

***

I was in East London today doing an errand for my PhD and while walking back I took a glimpse of Keri Smith's last book Mess: A Manual of Accidents and Mistakes in a bookshop window. I must say that it helped me out a little to work out a few bad feelings I had. I was given by some friends a nice notebook by the time I moved from Madrid to London, and I have not found yet a perfect aim for it. Perhaps, I could start writing in it all my mistakes and "pooh-pooh" (how do you say it?).

For the only occupation that I master and at which I have remained loyal, determined and tenacious is at making the same mistakes over and over again. Wherever I go, whatever I do, always the same mistakes and errors. Will that make me a loser? I must pay close attention and learn from them, but I guess I never got myself to it, and don't even know if I should.

I have not read anything by Keri Smith. The whole thing is so stinky that I get prejudicial towards her and her work. In her web page she defines herself as "an author/illustrator turned guerrilla artist" (??) and confess the leading of a formidable life: "Keri spends her days playing with her husband and son, reading, cooking and writing books". Yes, sir: the perfect life!

Actually, I realized that I hate to work, that's the core of my very problems. I would love to wander about in the world (maybe exploring, yes) with no worries about money or my senility, and extrude some conceited purposes and hopes by writing a blog (like this one).

Yes, why not?

(PLEASE, LEAVE A COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment