Thursday, February 24, 2011

30 years

On Feb 23, today, it has been remembered the 30th anniversary of the failed attempt of coup d'Etat in Spain. I can hardly remember anything from 1981. In fact, I don't remember anything. And now that I think of it I realized that never asked my parents what they were doing that day. Tejero's careless kidnapping of the Parliament was at 6.23 pm, so most likely, my father was working and my mother preparing my supper. Federico J. Losantos was watching a movie of Laura Antonelli, for example. It is something interesting: important matters for collectivities are not important for individuals (at the moment of occurrence).


                                                  Photo: Laura Antonelli (iofer.com)

The coup lasted 17 hours and 34 gun shots. The failed attempt has been showed to us, at least as I can recall it now, as a fortunately quenched re-birth of franquism; however, it does not seem to be that. It generated itself within politics and the circumstances of the moment (ETA killed 100 troops and soldiers every year at the time, the State of Autonimical Regions (and nationalism) just re-born, the King was actually the Head of the State, Franco's succesor, and the Army must obey him). Lots of agents were aware and afraid and expecting the coup, rumors everywhere, publications in newspapers.

After all, I don't have the lest doubt that not everything is known. And I agree strongly with those claiming that major episodes of our last democratic history are confused and partially manipulated: 23-F, Gal, bombings 11-M.

It is shameful how a black box has been built around the episode and a mystified, untruly label has been hung upon it: Franco resurrected, but the Left drove Democracy once again into the rails. It is shameful that many names and situations of the 23-F coup are completely unknown for the young today, me included. Not even the basic things: Operacion Galaxia, Milans del Bosch, Division Acorazada, Alfonso Armada, "Ni esta ni se le espera", Juste, el pacto del capo, etc.

What a shame, what a pity!

(PLEASE, LEAVE A COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment