Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Isabeles Imperiales, maravedies and coffee for only 80 reales

Since I am here in London, one noticeable thing I have been warned about, like a dark, urban legend spread through the air, is people's tendency to steal from others. "Be aware, gents, thieves visit this pub. Keep your belongings close to you", you frequently read. School is terrible, UCL, I mean. So much security, badges, bar-code and e-password doors. But, still, people steal. I don't like a bit the manner in which this problem is address. Victims tend to conceal and lock their properties in cabinets, "keep it in your pocket", you are said. Well, of course, I will; however, everybody seems to miss the fact that he who commits the crime is the thief: an act, the stealing, againts the law, an offense against the wellfare of people. He who commints the ofense against someone else's property should be prosecuted. However, this does not seem to be the case. What would you expect from a school who will do nothing against students who occupy a public building?

It is shocking and terribly aggravating to me.

The respect for other's property or, better, the lack of respect for other's properties is a majestatic problem, the open door to all sorts of disgraces. Not in vain, I venture to say, universal religions, cultures and phisolophical schemes set the "do not steal" at the same level and next to the "do not kill". A crime against life is of the same "order of magnitude" as a crime against human life.

**

So, as I was unable to find the number-5 Allen key that I needed this morning to continue my work, I had to step outside and bought a complete set of Hex keys. "Metric or imperial", the man said. I bought a set of each... So, the British refer to their units as "imperial". How nice!

It came to me then that, in case of the euro thing finally falling apart sooner or later, Spain should come back to its imperial currencies. La peseta is already gone and is set in a time where Imperial Spain was crumbled down. So I suggest to use La Isabel Imperial. One of these would account for 1000 maravedies. And one maravedi is made of 100 reales. Don't you think it would be nice? Los reales, the lower in value, could be of copper and have the face of Julio Fandino on it, so the English will go and fuck themselves anytime they have a cup of coffee in Tarifa, Marbella o Mayorca. I would love to see them pay in the hotel: "It will be 1 isabel and 5 maravedies with 13 reales".

**

Ok, now, time to sleep, little boy, no need to feel sour... Sweet dreams in the valley of the Shenandoah... "O, Shenandoah, I love your daughter"... Hope you will find your Beatrice.



(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment