Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Warning

God knows what is happening in the Islamic world these months. I don't. However, I said it before and I am saying now: has nothing to do with democracy. Democracy of what? We tend to believe that democracy is like the natural way of human performance that, if let it, will overflow into surface readily and by the law of necessity. But reality could not be further away from that. I am afraid that corruption in those countries will only have a tightening effect on freeless societies and individuals, a reassuring argument for choking Islam. Apart from Egypt, other countries are at stake: in Libia, the chants of demonstrators is "no God but Allah, Muammar [Gaddafi] is the enemy of Allah". This is a warning for all Western, free countries: democracy will not come by itself. Terrorism will do.

The turmoil in the Islamic countries ("Islam" means submission, don't forget it) has nothing to do with democracy, and it is stupid to think so or to defend thesis like facebook or twiter has a thing for democracy. An example to support my statement is a piece of news about what happened today or yesterday to Lara Logan.

It is told in the London Evening Standard. For the last two days, I have been taking the tube to come back home, rather early, about 5 or 5.30 pm. The feeling is good. I feel like a real Londoner, a worker earning twice or thrice what I make. (Perhaps I grew too old for going back to school here, I wonder).

So Lara Logan, 39, finished reporting from Tahrir Square for CBS and right at the spot was brutally beating and sexually attacked by a mass of men. She was dragged away and done terrible things for 20 to 30 minutes! Until a group of women (!!!) and 20 soldiers rescued her.

This I read in the tube, such a sickening story. It fills me with revulsion, it is so horrific. Can you believe in democracy, still? You are crazy! I don't know the length of the sexual attacks, but I foresee many years of painful and bitter recovery, if she can. The life as she knows it just finished... A woman being rescued from men by other women?? What a strange thing! I don't know what the hell is going on there.

But it is not democracy. It is a warning for all.

My sympathies for you, Lara. All the best.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment