Friday, February 18, 2011

Look back in anger... Or don't

With too much difficulty I skip over the last pages of Look Back in Anger and said to myself: ok, that's finished. I did not enjoy _it feels like a paste, thick and dense, too much controversial a hundred years ago, perhaps, but too much pretentiously bothersome and old-fashioned today. Doesn't seem to be a classic. I don't know if there is or isn't any originality. I guess I am missing things. However, I only truly enjoy the part where Alison leaves Jimmy (and Cliff) and Helena takes over, all Jimmy's speech and Helene reaction. But that's all.

I suspect the "anger young men" cliche is just a myth, as many of the sort made up by intellectuals, writers, thinkers or "wizards" _in this case, Kenneth Tynan's own bet.

**

Nevertheless, it is remarkable that whenever the young (or not necessarily too young) feels uneasy and sour with the world, a feeling of anger and hatred prevails. That's a common feature of main characters at all or some point in the story, in The Cather in the Rye, Siddharta and Osborne's Look Back in Anger. For example, sweet Phoebe says to his brother: "Why do you hate everybody? You hate everybody".

... A little piece of myself then I understood ...

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment