Sunday, July 31, 2011

A trivial detail

I thought it was written by Eugenio d'Ors, but it probably wasn't. Among myriads of books placed in disarray in one of the shelves at home, years, years ago, before the remodeling of the study room, I used to look at a small book, with yellow covers, of which I don't remember the title. I said that I thought it was written by Eugenio d'Ors, but it probably wasn't: did not find its reference among his production now -although did not look thoroughly. 

Anyhow, the book was composed in little paragraphs of only a few sentences where someone, undefined, spoke in first person explaining to someone, an undefined interlocutor, the reasons that led him to kill someone else, a third undefined person. Most of the reasons -if not all- were trivial details which led to an unstoppable surge of rage and irationality and, thus, to the killing. For example: "I killed her because I did not like the way she slurped her soup".

Now, I don't mean, of course, that such details lead me to kill anyone nor anybody else; however, such eruptions of anger actually take place daily in all of us and got ourselves to our nerves at occasions.

In my case, every morning in the tube, I got upset at the common habit of commuters of trying to approach the exit doors when the train is arriving to the destination, but way long before it is stopped. So, if I am in the corridor between both rows of seats -which is fairly narrow-, I have to adjust myself to let somebody pass when the train is moving, which is annoying and, perhaps, I have to upset somebody who is seated. Could we not be civilized, wait patiently and, once the train is stopped, get off?

A trivial detail, it is true... But how many of these details can you count on a daily basis?

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT).

No comments:

Post a Comment