Saturday, April 30, 2011

Appraisal of motherhood

This is what I jot down during my London-Madrid flight today, in a piece of paper... .

***

The counter-balance force that keeps the crazy, centrifugal world in place is motherhood, i.e. women, by being true mothers, hold sense in all the rest´s blowing minds. The examples are too many and spread in all directions and cultural xxxxx (here I can´t read what I wrote). I like recalling, for instance, the genuine sense of Barry´s Peter Pan, now celebrating the 100th aniversary of its publication in a novel-form. Captain Hook says, abated, to his thugs and crooks: "guys, guys, give me a listen: we have a problem_ the kids got a mother themselves¨. Indeed, Wendy had just literally flown into Neverland, gotten back to life in spite of Wendy´s tricks to murder her, and set a warm and cozy home for Peter Pan and the rest.

On the other hand, the lost-boys were children who fell off their perambulators and got themselves motherless. Peter Pan himself refuses to come back to London with Wendy because he does not want to have a mother. The whole story (the fairy tale and the periodic, yearly visits of Peter Pan) is transmitted from generation to generation from mother to daughter.

Again, the examples are too many -it is certainly shocking to learn that after 5 years of imprisonment by the Turks, being Spain in bankruptcy, Cervantes was actually bailed out by Trinity friars and his mother, who paid the ransom- but, albeit being too many, still, modern, western societies, all of them much too alike, despise motherhood in blunt terms.

A Catholic priest told me once: "A de-christianized world will follow to de-christianized mothers". His prophecy might just be heavily in course.

Alas, indeed, it is a toil of considerable proportions being a mother. It must sprang from the deepers of a woman´s clean nature. (xxxxxxx Here I am to look for the saying of a mother in Shakespeare´s All´s well that ends well which, of course, I don´t have it with me now), the sentence that resounded in The Shakespearian Globe last day, and that I watched in the heavenly company of M.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment