Monday, April 4, 2011

The tireless star of our fate

About a month ago or so, I got a mail in my UCL account with some demand for volunteers to accomplish a long and tedious task: wrap up the many thousand books of the UCL Special Collection for transport and permanent storage in Kent (somewhere in Kent, never payed attention).

I asked for an appointment and went to see how the job was like. I was taken into the vaults plenty of copies of very old, very interesting, mesmerizing-type volumes. Did I say anything about it here yet? I think so... A lady passed by the host and myself and exclaimed: "you are allowed to page the books up and down for only a couple of seconds_ then, go wrap them!". Yes, I remember I wrote about it here sometime ago. I could not find any time to do the job, though, so I dropped the intention. Never start it.

Well, today, I learned about this: one of the four copies of Humphry Davy's Essays on Heat, Light and the Combinations of Light (1799), just discovered at the UCL Special Collection. Apparently, this one was handed in to UCL in 1890 and until last week nobody knew where it had been placed.

I guess, the fate, as a tireless star illuminating my road, wanted this to happen, in the same way that you never shall find me in pictures or photographs. It came to me that, rather frequently, I am capable of testify "I was there", but never have anything to prove it.

Someone might like this: a constellation of tireless stars delineating our fate. Like the Heraclitus streams of clear water, our blood is and shall for ever be unchanged... In a life-long time, our blood, our-selves.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment