Friday, April 8, 2011

Heroes and pretenders

When learning a language, there are different levels of accomplishment or different goals to achieve. The last step, most difficult, is to communicate in that language, i.e. be able to speak and understand in a conversation. However, below that level, there are simpler aims. For example, how about learning a language just to be able to read it? Speaking French, German or Chinese will demand a tremendous amount of time and dedication; reading French, German or Chinese, well... It is easier and it is even accessible to shy and troubled people.

If I had continued that 15-minute, daily self-instruction in Arabic I started about this time of the year in 2005, when living at Colonial Grand, Huntsville, Alabama, I would probably be able to read this now. But I did not, and all I can do is to comment on the photographs and read what others say about it.

Al-Qaeda has released a new publication, a 31-page magazine for women: Al-Shamikha: "The Majestic Woman". The affected West calls it Al-Qaeda Cosmo but, in fact, its lay-out is plain, austere and boring. Looks to me like the booklets old women read in Catholic parishes. Nevertheless, the combination of photos constitutes an oxymoron, if I can say so: a flower on left page, a tank on the right; a flower on the right, a machine gun on the left. In addition, a box full of jewelry and a couple of rich guys next to a shiny, red sports-car. Some "puritans" around here should find it offensive to women, I guess. The contents I am restricted to judge from third sources: take a look here, here and here, etc, etc, etc.

Come on! You feminist! What do you have to say about it? "Marrying a jihadist", "Sharia applies to you", "Your house is your kingdom", Meeting with a jihad wife". What do you have to say? Nothing? No guts? Do you condole? Or is it simply not your call?

Much is to say about this, but I want to go in a different direction tonight. As you can see, some people pretend to be heroes fighting the war that has been already fought -and won, to a certain extend. Some other never thought of themselves as different from the rest nor tried any reformation of the world. They wanted to run their lives, minding their own business. However, at a certain point, the circumstances, most of the times a terrible tragedy, wreaked permanent havoc in their hearts and pull them into motion; assisted by an unbearable and mysterious driver, they were forced to transform themselves and speak up. Like the prophet Jeremiah, perhaps they suffer in the silence of the night:

"O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived: thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.
For since I spake, I cried out, I cried violence and spoil; because the word of the LORD was made a reproach unto me, and a derision, daily.
Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay". (Jr, 20, 7-9)

Once again, the demonstration to be taken place in Madrid tomorrow, at 5pm, from Glorieta de Bilbao, is one of the marvellous things happening around us and to be proud of. There you shall find the Heroes Paul Johnson forgot in his work, the truly ones. Hundreds of thousand of normal Spaniards demonstrating in central Madrid in absence of police, supporting and warming up terrorism victims, dragging out the shame of evil.

Hey World! Watch and Learn:
The Heroes of Our Life.
The Freedom of Our Dreams.

You, who think you are the center of the world.

Watch and Learn.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment