Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Bible of the King James

I got myself today a copy of the 1611 edition of the King James Bible; it is not at all special, you can find it among the published for the occasion of the 400th anniversary.

To tell you the truth, I bought it because of the poetry. It is wonderful! Back in Alabama, reviewing a big, hard-covered book of American poetry, I came across with the comparison of one Psalm from the King James Bible to another contemporary translation. I was agog, I was aghast!

Don't remember which psalm was it, but listen to this. It is part of Psalm 22:

(4) Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliuer them.
(6) But I am a worme, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

(11) Be not farre from me, for trouble is neere; for there is none to helpe.

(13) They gaped upon me with their mouthes, as a rauening and a roaring lyon.
(14) I am powred out like water, and all my bones are out of ioynt: my heart is like waxe, it is melted in the middest of my bowels.
(15) My strength is dried up like a potsheard: and my tongue cleaueth to my iawes; and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.
(16) For dogges haue compassed me: the assembley of the wicked haue inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feete.

(19) But be not thou farre from mee, O Lord; O my strength, hast thee to helpe me.

Oh, man... Let us pray.

(PLEASE, LEAVE YOUR COMMENT)

No comments:

Post a Comment